|Vertical Resources run daily guided backcountry ski touring & snowboarding trips based from the Township of Wanaka. This is an amazing town that give you the ability to access some of the best backcountry ski touring in New Zealand. We operate from The Remarkables to the terrain behind Treble Cone Ski Fields
Our guides operate with in depth knowledge of the local terrain & conditions and all a professional IFMGA Ski and Mountain Guides. During a guiding safety is our number one priority.
Ski-touring and snowboarding the back country can be an epic and rewarding experience. There are incredible amounts of untouched terrain across a range of mountains that we will be able to find you the goods! Heading out with a local guide gives you the edge on terrain and provides you with the benefit of local expertise and knowledge and of course, fun!
Our trips allow you to ski & ride in untouched powder, get an introduction to avalanche conditions or simply get a taste of how to move in the backcountry.
You will need to be able to ski off piste but only be proficient on blue runs - there are plenty of terrain choices to suit all levels of ability.
We know the backcountry - if we are not ski touring guiding or ski touring persoanly you will find us woring in the heli-ski or avalanche industry. In winter when the weather doesnt let us get off the field our guides will be often ripping it up at the local field.
How experienced do I need to be?
- You need to have a good level of aerobic fitness.
- You need to be an intermediate skier/boarder.
- You should be able to comfortably ski/ride blue runs at your local ski field.
- Off piste skiing/riding experience is ideally preferred to give you the best experience
- You need to car and be able to ski/ride with a light backpack, in this pack you will carry your avalanche equipment, warm clothing, your own food and water for the day.
- You do not need any previous ski touring or split boarding experience at the start of the day you will be given a full introduction how to use all your equipment
How do I book / plan my ski touring/ split boarding day?
We recommend that you book in advance to allow us to work out the best weather, terrain and snow conditions for your trip. Make sure you contact us when you get to Wanaka or a few days ahead of time to give us the flexibility we need to operate around weather and snow conditions.
Ski touring ski's & split board hire
Ski touring equipment and split boards can be hired from Mt Outdoors in WANAKA. For those wanting to use their snowboards you will need to hire snowshoes to allow you more more easily in the back country
|COST IN NZD / PERSON|
The ski touring season can start as early as the first week in June however reliable local snow cover normally runs from July until early October
No previous ski touring or split boarding experience is needed. You should be an intermediate or advanced skier or rider with off-piste skiing experience. There is a variety of terrain for intermediates through to advanced skiers and riders.
What do I need to bring?
- Small day pack (with side straps)
- Food / Lunch and water for the day
- Ski touring equipment, split boarding set up, or board and snow shoes.
- Warm clothing, windproof jacket and pants, warm gloves, sunglasses or goggles, and sunscreen